One Word

I love this time of year. Reflection. Renewal. Resolve. To make peace with the 365 days that have passed and anticipation for the clean slate just around the corner.  Since the age of 12 I have made a list of new years resolutions.  Me and Rachel, my childhood friend of 16 years lived for New Year’s Eve. Sitting around, a bowl of our special new year’s chili in one hand, a pen in the other, with not a care in world and imaging the possibilities that a new year would bring.

As an adult I still live for this day. The themes, process, and outcome of my yearly reflection have all grown up a little bit. But the feeling is still the same. Closing one chapter, and opening the door to a new one.

Inspired by the Shutter Sisters once again I am reflecting and exploring this past year and the year to come with just one word.  One word to embody 2009, and another word to carry me through 2010. I’ve been playing with words since Monday. Letting them roll off my tongue, rattle around in my brain, and see how they stick. Do they feel comfortable? Do they feel right?  2009 was a bear of a year for me and my Calmer.  Finding only one word has been an arduous exploratory process. And it took me all week. But I found it. I found my word.

2009: HOPE

I started this year with hope for starting a family. Continued the year with hope for the new life that would enter our world. And I’m ending the year with hope for a successful photography business venture next year. There was most definitely love, despair, inspiration, sadness, and thousands of other words that could be weaved throughout my year. But hope seemed to weave it’s way throughout and it definitely felt right.

Photography has also been a big part of this past year. 10 out of the 12 months.  I’ve been looking back and it’s amazing to see how far I’ve come and the road I’ve traveled this year.  I have many favorite images from my photography journey but I tried to chose one favorite to represent each month of this year.

And now I am ready to close this chapter. I am ready for 2010. My goals, dreams, and aspirations for this year are lofty. And I have my word. Inspired by Me Ra Koh and her scholarship.

2010: SOAR

A powerful yet encouraging mantra to take me higher and achieve the success I’ve been hoping for.

Do you have your words? How would you sum up your 2009 with just one word? Do you have an inspiring one word mantra for 2010? Take time today to reflect here with me.

Sarah B.December 31, 2009 - 11:09 am

For 2009 I think I word is growth. I've grown so much in so many ways this year. Next year I focusing on Family. My husband and I with our cat and our new house. It's time to build our own family traditions.

heatherdyanDecember 31, 2009 - 11:15 am

beautiful and inspiring post, beryl. i'll have to give some thought to my own words.i love the photos you've chosen for your mosaic — an amazing sample of your work.cheers to you and the possibilities of the new year!

Danielle LaPorteDecember 31, 2009 - 11:16 am

fly!xoDanielle

LucyDecember 31, 2009 - 11:42 am

It's good you've managed to stay positive this year. Good luck with your photography next year.

MOMDecember 31, 2009 - 1:24 pm

Have I told you lately how much I admire you? I really love your blog. Its such a wonderful window into your thoughts, your feelings, your dreams and aspirations. I wish I had such courage …courage to face life's difficulties with such an open heart, to share your feelings so openly, and to tackle and learn a new creative outlet in your photography! You have certainly had a tumultuous year, but I truly wish you and The Calmer a new year filled with happiness and joy! Love always.

curiousillusionDecember 31, 2009 - 3:53 pm

Good luck to you in 2010!

KalaDecember 31, 2009 - 6:28 pm

Wishing you all the best for 2010. 🙂

mycognitivedistortionDecember 31, 2009 - 8:54 pm

Remember to never give up. I'm really proud of you (cheesy!) and I am so inspired by you. You've come through difficult times this year and you are in a completely different place than where you started. Your life sounds so fascinating. I'm quite jealous. Even with all the hardships, you are a very lucky woman.I think if I had to chose a word for this past year it would have to be Change. There have been so many changes in my life it actually amazes me all the things I've been through and done. But I guess life is just like that. We roll with the punches and take what life hands us. We either make the best of it or we don't. Everything is a learning experience. If I had to choose a word for 2010 it would need to be Balance. With so much going on these last few months I need a bit more balance and calm in my life. I need to find a way to sort out everything going on, make sense of it, and then do something with it. Things seem to come at me all at once and then I get flustered and make irrational decisions. I'm turning twenty nine. It's time to grow up a little more. And by the by, I love that your mom is always reading and commenting on your blog. She's right. You really are a spectacular person.

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:34 am

Awwww, mom thanks for making me cry! lol. I have a feeling 2010 is going to be big for both your girls. you better watch out! the Hurwitch ladies are rockin' and rollin'.

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:36 am

great words! i am excited to see your family traditions built up through your images this year.

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:37 am

thank you heather! gosh choosing photos was so hard. a month months there were more options than others and i second guessed my choices quite a bit. i wish much happiness to you in 2010!

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:39 am

thank you danielle, i have a good feeling about this year. with your continued inspiration and the encouragement of those around me i know this year will bring great things.

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:44 am

thank you lucy! your 365 may be over but i hope your keep shooting! I loved following your pictures this year.

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:45 am

thank you ari! i hope much happiness and success await you in 2010!

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:45 am

same to you. 🙂 i am excited to continue following the gorgeous images in your blog this year.

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:49 am

awwwww, beth thank you so much for such a heartwarming comment to end 2009. even with all of the crap this year there is a lot i am thankful for. and really my life is quite boring. its not as fascinating as i may make it sound here! lol. I LOVE your words. Balance is something i really need to strive for as well. I constantly bite off more than i can chew, its a blessing and a curse. After we lost Bella i really started to realize the imbalance that existed and am trying to fix it. so I am sure balance will weave its way through 2010 for me too. I am excited to hear more about where this will take you. it sounds like you have some exciting things in store…

triciabouJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:11 pm

I'm so excited for you, Beryl. This business venture that you're embarking on is so wonderful.Thank you for encouraging me to oin you in the 365 Project. I am posting my 365 at my photo blog. http:triciaboutelle.blogspot.com Here's to a year of growth for all of us.XO*Tricia

bella rose photographyJanuary 1, 2010 - 8:24 pm

tricia, i am excited to follow you on your 365 journey as well!

CatinaJanuary 2, 2010 - 8:31 am

I think my 2009 word is change and for 2010 my hope is that it will be growth. By the way – incredibly inspiring to see what a positive outlook you have been able to hold on to through this year and that in looking back you can choose such a wonderful word to encapsulate it all. Again – an inspiration. Happy New Year!

[…] I had wanted to use another picture as my start for the new years.  From a friend’s blog, I’ve chosen a single word to strive for through 2010.  Balance.  2009 was crazy and busy […]

[…] Last year, I was inspired to pick one word to be my guiding light in 2010. A word to keep me grounded, a mantra to get through the tough times, and a path to reach some lofty goals. That word? […]

one word 2012December 29, 2011 - 4:12 am