• Tis the Month for Mitzvah

Recently my friend and fellow blogger curiousillusion introduced me to the website NaBloPoMo. The acronym stands for National Blog Posting Month and the website encourages bloggers to participate in a month long daily blog fest.  Last month was my month for reflecting on gratitude and being thankful for the joys I have in life.  Heading in to December NaBloPoMo has announced their theme today and it’s all about giving back.  Doing Mitzvah. What is a Mitzvah? Here is the dictionary.com definition:

mitzvah. -[Seph. -vawt; Ashk. -vohs] Show IPA , English. -vahs. Hebrew.
    1. any of the collection of 613 commandments or precepts in the Bible and additional ones of rabbinic origin that relate chiefly to the religious and moral conduct of Jews.
    2. any good or praiseworthy deed.

This month my goal is to perform a daily mitzvah and share it here each day this month. It can be as large as giving back to the local community or as small as saying a kind word to a person in need of some compassion.

Today’s mitzvah? Committing myself to this month long daily blogging challenge and giving my loyal readers the gift of a post (and a picture) a day for the entire month of December.

(not sure if that’s a mitvah or an annoyance but just go with me on this one! hopefully you won’t all be sick of me by the end of this month…)

Is anyone else out there getting into the spirit of giving? What is your mitzvah for the day? the week? the month?

I want to hear it!

SusanDecember 1, 2009 - 2:45 pm

This is a bit complicated, but bear with me. I had scheduled to have some work done on our home and found out last night that our HOA might contract to have the work done for everyone in our community. I had to call the company and tell them I was postponing the job until our HOA made a decision on whether or not they would complete the job. I felt bad for this small husband and wife company, so I sent them the name and email address of our HOA president so that if they were interested they might contact him to possibly bid on the job for the entire community. I hope they take this as a mitvah and I am sure they will if this get's them a larger job. Of course, I told them that if the HOA didn't contract to do the work I would be back in touch with them straight away. I think a mitvah has much to do with spirit in which it is given and certainly it was my intention to make a little extra effort to try and help out a small business in our community.

CatinaDecember 1, 2009 - 5:00 pm

What a gorgeous picture – and a beautiful, inspirational idea!

heatherdyanDecember 1, 2009 - 5:21 pm

glad to see that you're joining in on the 'nablopomo' fun. this is my second december participating; i had such a rewarding experience last year that i had to do it again. best of luck to you this month — i'll be following along with interest 🙂

bella rose photographyDecember 1, 2009 - 5:35 pm

thanks for your support! Just saw on your website that you're not too far away geographically. I'm in Northern Virginia. Looking forward to following your blog this month.

KalaDecember 1, 2009 - 5:41 pm

Beautiful light, color and bokeh in this shot. I found your blog on the blogroll at NaBloPoMo – I participated last month and am doing it again in December. I think NaBloPoMo is a wonderful way to meet fellow bloggers and photographers!Kala

curiousillusionDecember 1, 2009 - 6:13 pm

So my favorite show is Studio 60 and in one episode, a character asks an old coworker to help out. He says it'll be a nice thing to do. In the end, the coworker ends up being a big help and the character goes , “See! A mitzvah”. I officially love that word. :)Btw, I saw that the theme was mitzvah but I don't know how I'll be able to do something every day. Although I like your mitzvah for today, it's kinda funny.My mitzvah for today… I helped a coworker find something she was looking for AND I got it for cheap. 🙂

mycognitivedistortionDecember 1, 2009 - 7:20 pm

A mitzvah or an annoyance?? You crack me up! Your pictures are always a treat. It's been fun seeing the changes and advances in your craft.I think I'd have a hard time doing a daily mitzvah. That sounds bad, but it is true. Mostly the thing is that I don't get out of the house daily and being nice to my son all the time would get boring for people to read! :)Good luck!

bella rose photographyDecember 2, 2009 - 12:14 pm

Thanks Kala, looking forward to following you during nablopomo this month as well!

bella rose photographyDecember 2, 2009 - 12:14 pm

Oooo, what good deals did you get, do share. 🙂

bella rose photographyDecember 2, 2009 - 12:16 pm

hahaha, you are too funny. I would imagine a daily mitzvah involving your child would be quite a challenge! Thanks for your kind words. I love sharing my photos and working to improve so its nice to hear when people are enjoying them.

bella rose photographyDecember 2, 2009 - 4:00 pm

I am so glad. I hope as the month goes on you'll share some of the things you find! Maybe we can even try to go out and do something together when you're in town at the end of the month!

smhgolfDecember 2, 2009 - 7:42 pm

Yesterday I stood outside the local Kroger ringing the Salvation Army bell in the freezing cold!!! I'd say thats a big Mitzvah right there!!!

bella rose photographyDecember 2, 2009 - 7:54 pm

Wow, good for you!! I used to do that with Circle K in college. Did the whole golf team have to do it? How long were you ringing for?

[…] NaBloPoMo Daily Mitzvah: Today a friend emailed me a family photo that they were hoping to use on their upcoming Christmas cards for this year. The photo was great except for one large sunlight spot unfortunately placed on top of her mother’s head.  She asked if I had any suggestions for fixing the sun spot. After a little playing by me in Photoshop the sun spot was virtually elimated. (Hooray for the powers of the clone tool and healing brush!) I emailed the edit back to her and she was ecstatic! Not a big mitzvah today, but one of those warm fuzzy moments that make you feel like you helped. […]

[…] NaBloPoMo Daily Mitzvah: Today I got home from work in an overall cranky mood. It was not pretty. It’s rainy, gross, and I got home later than expected.  Fortunately, The Calmer was waiting with open arms and hugs galore.  All I wanted to do was collapse on the couch and do nothing. I am sure you all know the feeling.  But, as I’m putting my things away I notice my cat Vincent sneaking over to the dish where his laser pointer toy resides. This kitty LOVES laser pointers. And when he wants to play he let’s you know. […]

[…] NaBloPoMo Daily Mitzvah: Today I sent an e-card from Hallmark.com to my sister just to say hi.  We live far apart and don’t get to talk that often so I just wanted to send her a little something to brighten her day and let her know I’m thinking about her. […]