• Inspire | Baby Loss Support Photography Class

Mother’s Day is a day of appreciation and respect. I can think of no mothers who deserve it more than those who had to give a child back.

~ Erma Bombeck ~

It’s was Mother’s Day 2009 that I found out I was going to be a mom for the first time.  20 weeks later we lost our first daughter, Bella, to a combination of medical abnormalities and our lives were forever changed.  Mother’s Day holds a special place for me because it feels like I’ve truly been a mom for the past 2 years.  But this past weekend, my first “real” Mother’s Day, the story of why and how I got into this business has been on my mind a lot. Becoming a mom to our beautiful Baby Brie has stirred up a lot of thought and introspection as to how our family got here and what an emotional roller coaster the past 2 years have been.

I think about Bella, the first daughter we never met. I think about Brielle, and how she would not be here if Bella still was. I think about how lucky we are to have Brielle, such an amazing baby with such an easy going and happy nature. And then I wonder if Bella’s personality would’ve been like Brie’s or completely different.  I think about what Bella would look like now. Would she and Brie have looked the same? Would Bella have had the same beautiful strawberry blonde hair and striking blue eyes like her sister? Or would they have been their own unique selves and not even have looked or acted like siblings.

I think about the loneliness and sadness that clouded our 2009.

I think about the uncertainty, hope, and growth that was our 2010.

I think about the overwhelming joy we’ve experienced in 2011.

And I think a lot about photography.

How it has encouraged me. How it has helped me. How it has healed me.

My mind has meandered around all of these thoughts lately, much like I’ve been wandering the path towards becoming a photographer. During the past past 18 months the road has been winding, sometimes I’ve felt lost, I’ve climbed up hills, and I’ve re-discovered the beauty life has to offer.  The universe surely works in strange ways, but looking back down the path I can see that there must have been a reason for it all. I took a look back at my very first blog post the other day to remind myself where this journey began. October 6th, 2009. I stated my purpose for blogging. Reason #1:

INSPIRE

That was my big dream 2 years ago. I wasn’t sure how I was going to get there, or what I would do to make that happen, but I wanted to be an inspiration to others. At the time I was looking for an outlet to share my photography journey, experiment with and express my creativity, and attract an audience willing to listen to my story of loss and new life. I wanted the world to know that grieving the loss of an unborn child is lonely, it is never-ending, and the best healer in the world is time and a creative outlet.

But even after expressing my feelings, expanding my technical photography skills, building my portrait portfolio, booking some amazing clients, and teaching moms the confidence to get their dslr cameras out of “auto” mode, something has still felt missing on this journey.

Until now.

Somewhere along the way of building this business I lost the core reason it was started, Bella. She is the missing piece I’ve been searching for and in the coming month the Be Young Photography School is going be adding a new class to its offerings in order to re-focus on what has mattered most from the beginning.

Introducing…

A 4-week online course designed especially for moms dealing with the loneliness, grief, and sadness of losing a child in pregnancy or infancy no matter how long ago that loss occurred. It’s for moms who are looking for a creative outlet to express their emotion and begin the healing process. It’s a way for these special women to be heard and connect with others dealing with the exact same experience. It’s a way for baby-loss moms to slowly step back into the world and learn to live again.

Bella has inspired the creation of every aspect of Be Young Photography from the first blog post, to each photograph snapped, to teaching moms camera confidence. Now, this class unites all of those values into one common purpose.

To get on the mailing list to learn more about Illuminate and all of the details of how you can be involved in this class experience

click HERE

I can’t wait to start the healing process with some amazing, strong, beautiful women.

KellyMay 9, 2011 - 6:36 am

Awesome B. SO proud of you!

Mary ThompsonMay 9, 2011 - 3:05 pm

I just found your site through FOLFOH. What a wonderful idea. And, if I read correctly, you are in the Northern VA area. I am too, kind of. I live in Clarke County but lived in Loudoun for many years. I look forward to getting started with this project. I love taking pictures and I think this is a great idea!

BerylMay 10, 2011 - 8:12 pm

Mary, I am indeed in VA. So glad you stopped by. We aren’t too far from you in the Lovettsville area (a little north of Purcellville if you are familiar with that town). I hope to get to learn more about you and hear your story in the class this summer. All of the details on registration and dates etc. should come out the first week in June.

Melissa HaynieMay 9, 2011 - 3:23 pm

I have two wonderful children at home. I feel very blessed because I have two amazing children at home… and four angels who look over me. My pregnancies ended at 9 weeks, 12 weeks, 23 weeks ( she lived for two days) and 22 weeks ( he lived for 45 minutes.)and then at 39 weeks ( she is currently 3) and 35 weeks ( she will be one for another month.) I love the idea of your class for healing… maybe more so because of a charity that I have heard of. It is a group of photographers who go to the hospital to take photos for families who have had to give their baby back. Any time of the night these photographers go and take photographs trying to help to create memories. And to these parents they offer professional photos and memories of their child free of charge. That thought has truly struck me. I am one of few who has pictures of my two live born angels. Most do not have that incredible gift. They were taken by my parents on a camera that didn’t have a ton of bells or whistles. They aren’t terribly artful or taken with much skill… but they are pictures of our babies. And that makes them precious. The thought that a gift of that nature could be given to a parent is amazing to me. So your class strikes a chord in me.

BerylMay 10, 2011 - 8:10 pm

Thank you for such a beautiful comment Melissa. We do not have any photos with our Bella and it truly is one of my biggest regrets. The “Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep” organization is such an amazing one for offering their professional photography services to families during such a raw and difficult time. I am hoping to give baby loss moms the power to create their own images of the world that will help them mend their wounds and express all of the emotion that too often get bottled up inside.

CatinaMay 9, 2011 - 4:36 pm

Beautiful Beryl! Just breathtakingly wonderful.

Brooke snowMay 9, 2011 - 4:51 pm

I am so excited for you !this is going to be incredible!

TinaMay 9, 2011 - 6:30 pm

You are amazing. Simply amazing. I’m so proud of you for doing this and I’m so inspired by your strength, as well as your creativity. I remember the first time we met. I knew you’d do something great. You are beautiful, friend. In more ways than you’ll ever know 🙂

SarahMay 9, 2011 - 6:46 pm

You are truly amazing, Beryl.

Carrie G.May 9, 2011 - 8:03 pm

Wow Beryl! This is such a powerful post and I am so proud of you! You are going to be an inspiration to so many lucky women. Do you mind if I pass this on to any of my own local friends?

Natasha JacksonMay 9, 2011 - 8:12 pm

This is so amazing! Photography has definitely been an outlet for me- can’t wait to learn more!!

Leanne HoovlerMay 9, 2011 - 10:09 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this wonderful service. After losing our sweet baby boy, Michael Francis, I wanted to throw myself into learning about photography but have not had an opportunity. You are giving that to me at a very vulnerable time in my life and for that I am so grateful!

BerylMay 10, 2011 - 8:07 pm

Leanne – I am so excited to go down this healing journey come this summer. All of the details on registration will be available the first week of June. I can’t wait to hear more of your story.

chelseaMay 10, 2011 - 7:58 pm

I wish I lived in VA. I lost a set of twins 6 years ago. They lived for 2 days due to prematurity. I now have a 4 year old and a new set of twins that were born on their angel twins birthday – exactly 6 years apart. I would love to be a part of this class, if only I lived closer. Thank you for doing this. So neat!

BerylMay 10, 2011 - 8:06 pm

Chelsea, this class is all online based so that anyone around the world can attend. I’d love for you to sign up on the mailing list to get the rest of the details. They should come out in June.

A Mum of three only one alive...May 13, 2011 - 7:36 pm

Your work is truly inspiring…It’s been a long hard road since our first baby to miscarriage at 3 months just two days before Mother’s Day.
    We did have two more children, a daughter and son after very difficult pregnancies, but our son died in an awful car accident in December 2005 – The horror of it all lives with me day and night forever…I’ve been lost in a dark hole of deep depression since then, though I’ve tried so very hard to get back to living again…
    My daughter 26 is now 6 weeks pregnant with her first child and I am so very afraid….I fear every day I will lose her or my first grandchild since my family had a record of very difficult births and many miscarriages.

Sunny KingMay 26, 2011 - 8:44 pm

Beryl,

You are such an inspiration. I am sorry that in my selfishness with time, I am just not reading about this. I am so proud of what you are doing with this class and would like to know more to see if I could afford the time and money to be a part of it. I truly believe photography is a great way to express emotions and to channel emotions in a healing way. What a AMAZING and neat concept!

Bella would be so proud of her mommy.

Loads of Love,